What is nausea?
Meaning of Nausea..
Nausea is an uneasiness of the stomach that often comes before the vomiting. This condition can be short-lived, from a couple of seconds to a couple of minutes, or can be prolonged to hours.
In a easy term, Nausea is a stomach discomfort and the sensation of wanting to vomit. During Nausea, you may feel to vomiting the contents of the stomach.
The uneasiness during nausea is most usually felt in the upper abdomen, back of the throat and chest.
It is common sign and symptom that can be caused by numerous conditions. Nausea even can be caused by side effects of many medicines.
Causes of Nausea
Why does nausea occurs?
Nausea itself is not a disease, but actually a symptom of many conditions such as:
- Over eating
- Food poisoning
- Food allergies
- Stomach irritation
- Problems in the appendix
- Viral infections
- Infections of the ear
- Heart attack
- Brain tumour
- Bulimia or binge eating disorder
- Particular forms of cancer
- Gastroparesis / gradual stomach emptying in people suffering from diabetes
- Gallbladder disease
- Liver problems
- Menstruation cramps
- Gastroesophageal reflux
Nausea may also due to:
- Exposure to unpleasant sights / odours
- Brain injury
It may be a side effect of :
- Low blood sugar
- Drinking excessive alcohol
- Medications includes chemotherapy and antidepressants
Symptoms of Nausea
What are the symptoms of nausea?
- Feeling of being sick in the stomach
- Feeling of bloated stomach
- Abdominal pain
- Feeling discomfort in the chest, upper abdomen, and throat
- Chest pain
- Quickening of pulse
- Breathing difficulty
- Excessive sweating
Diagnosis of Nausea
How to Diagnose Nausea?
Bases on your medical history, and recent symptoms the doctor may advise you to undergo few tests such as
- Blood tests
- Neurological tests
- Pregnancy tests if there are chances to be pregnant.
The doctor may also check your blood pressure (BP) and do an abdominal examination if required.
For the proper diagnosis to be done, you required to mention all your habits, history or if you feeling stress to doctor in a clear way.
For woman of childbearing age and are sexually active, she need to report the doctor the last date of her menstrual period, as well as contraceptives if she used.
Complications of Nausea
What are the complications of nausea?
Generally, Nausea resolves by itself unless there is a chronic condition associated with it.
Such complications may be as below.
- Weight loss
- Severe dehydration
- Weak and brittle hair and nails
- Decaying teeth
Treatment for Nausea
What is the treatment of Nausea?
In most of the cases, Nausea disappears by itself. If treatment is required, it would be for the underlying cause of nausea.
Depending on your condition the doctor may suggest intravenous fluids (IV Fluids), and medications to stop persistent vomiting.
Few Medications prescribed by Doctors for Nausea.
Prevention of Nausea
How to prevent Nausea?
- Eat small meals every few hours
- Try to avoid specific odors such as perfumes, smoke and certain cooking smells
- Identify the food responsible for nausea and avoid eating again.
- Avoid alcohol
- Do not take medicine causes nausea unless its necessary
- Avoid eating any food that smells or appears to be spoiled
- If you are prone to motion sickness, then you must avoid riding in a moving vehicle.
Thank you for reading “Nausea meaning, causes, symptoms, treatments“, Now you can also read..