What is acidity?
Acidity or Acid Reflux is a very common condition affecting most of us.
This condition is characterized by heartburn felt around the lower chest area, which is caused by the stomach acid throwing back up into the food pipe.
This condition mostly due to poor and unhealthy food habits and Poor lifestyle choice.
How does acidity occur?
The food we eat passes down the esophagus into the stomach.
The gastric glands in the stomach secrets acid which is necessary to digest the food and to kill any germs.
Acidity occurs when the gastric glands produce a higher amount of acid, more than what is needed for the digestion process.
This condition is characterized by a burning sensation above the stomach, or right below the breastbone.
Acidity problem is very common in Indian peoples due to the heavy consumption of oily and spicy foods.
Who is prone to acidity?
- Those who consume spicy and oily food
- People who are obese
- Those who are consuming Alcohol more often
- Those who eat Non-vegetarian food daily
- People taking NSAIDs medicines like Aceclofenac, Naproxen, Ibuprofen etc regularly
- Women about to menopause
- Pregnant women
- People suffering from medical conditions like Diabetes, Asthma, Hernia, Peptic ulcer etc.
Causes of Acidity?
Unhealthy eating habits
- Eating meals on irregular intervals
- Skipping meals
- Eating before sleep
- Eating before bathing
Excessive food consumption
- Tea / Coffe / Soft drinks / Alcohol
- Spicy foods
- Acidic food such as orange and lemon juice
- Junk foods like Pizza, Burger etc
Side effects of certain medications
- NSAIDs like Celecoxib, Ibuprofen, Piroxicam etc
- High Blood pressure medicines
- Medicines for Anxiety and Depression such as Alprazolam, Diazepam etc
- Antibiotics such as Cefixime, Levofloxacin etc
Due to some medical condition
- Peptic ulcers
- Connective tissue disorders
- Due to stress / Lack of proper sleep
- Alcohol consumption
- Excessive exercise
Symptoms of Acidity?
- Bad breath
- Burning sensation in stomach
- Burning sensation in throat / heart
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Prolonged sour taste in the mouth
- X-ray of esophagus and the stomach
- An endoscopy of upper Gastrointestinal which enables the doctor to see the lining of the oesophagus and stomach
Complications of Acidity
- Severe pain in the chest / abdomen
- Excessive vomiting
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Gastric ulcers
Treatment of Acidity
- Doctor prescribes some Antacids such as Rabeprazole, Pentoprazole, Renitidine etc
- In severe conditions, surgery such as Vagotomy can be performed.
- Most of the acid reflux problems can be treated by Life style modification and changing food habits.
- Avoid alcohol, smoking, Fast foods and cold drinks
Thank you for reading “Acidity meaning Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, and Home Remedies“. Now also read..